Discover your fire at IGNITE Peoria!
Monday, August 4, 2014, 3:45 P.M.
August 4th (Peoria, IL) - IGNITE Peoria! is getting Central Illinois fired up! IGNITE Peoria! is a celebration of creativity that will feature events that will inspire innovation, release artistic vision, and spark the passionate imagination of our community. Join us at the Peoria Civic Center for our first 'Big Bang' Creativity Celebration on August 9th. This is an all-day event and more remarkably, a FREE event! IGNITE Peoria! is excited to announce an array of events this year that are sure to spark the inner artist in people of all ages.
For a complete list of participants and scheduled events, visit www.ignitepeoria.com or see below. The events for this year include:
IGNITE Invitational Car Show is hosted by Darius Donaldson. This event will take place in Exhibit Hall D from 9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. The Car Show will feature cars & bikes that display an artistic, customized element. Creative tutorials on customizing, pin striping, and drawing will be offered. There will also be new product demonstrations with local businesses highlighted. A very special addition: Donk’e Punch! Justin Fenwick is a sneaker customizer and has customized sneakers for Kanye West. You will be able to see his incredible work at the IGNITE Invitational Car Show.
Rep the Midwest, hosted by Dopestylez Crew, is an event that will be sure to raise the roof of the Civic Center. These B-Boy phenomena will be performing in Exhibit Hall A with the doors opening at noon. The competition begins at 7:00 p.m. and the cost for this event is only $10.
Fashion IGNITE Peoria will be turning the 4th floor ballroom into a fashion photo shoot extravaganza! The event offers an inside look at the exciting world of photography with an art/fashion edge. With a range of looks from everyday to editorial, you will see how a team of creative professionals bring their artistic vision to life. Be sure to stop by between 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. for make-up, hairstyling, posing, and photography tips. Fashion IGNITE Peoria has something to offer everyone.
For Out of the Heart is an independent film that was written, funded, directed, locally acted and shot by a Central Illinois father & his 2 sons – Mike Mayo; Bob Mayo; William Mayo. Many local organizations supported the production of the film. Following the screening, there will be a Q & A with the film’s creators. For out of the Heart will be showing at the Peoria Riverfront, which is a short walk from IGNITE’s main site at the Peoria Civic Center. There will be showings at 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
The CREATION Party will be going on in Exhibit Halls B/C from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The creative events taking place include:
· Metal Stamping Booth with Lizz Barnes from Ear in the Envelope. Lizz will be teaching people to metal stamp dog tags and bracelets.
· Creative Ways to Enhance Our Community sponsored by Peoria Public Radio. Your individual input about ways to enhance our community will be recorded and selected recordings will be played on air.
· Caricatures by Joe McGuire. Joe, the Art Guy, will do personal caricature drawings for interested individuals.
· Greenhorn Video Education with Doug & Eileen Leunig. These artists will share information regarding 21stcentury communication skills to be learned through the application of making movies, documentaries, animations, digital storytelling, and music videos. There will a “sign-up” for interested participants to be kept informed of classes and learning opportunities as well as scheduled demonstrations and presentations.
· The Art of a Peaceful World sponsored by the Peoria Area World Affairs Council will feature an art contest expressing the theme, “A Peaceful World”. Submissions will be on display.
· Perky Percussion Petting Zoo by the Peoria Symphony Orchestra. Children can get an up close and personal experience at the instrument “Petting Zoo” trying out different percussion instruments.
· The Walnut Wood Lathe with artist, John Katzke. John will demonstrate his skills with wood turned items – bowls, vases, plates, roses. He will also have pieces for purchase.
· Creating Acoustic Music with Chris Stevens. Individuals will be invited to sit down and join in with percussion instruments to create live musical pieces. The instruments will be provided, no experience necessary…just a sense of musical adventure!
· Weaving Peoria with fiber artist, Jennie Hawkey. Jennie will set up her loom and demonstrate weaving. She will also have several looms available for use by attendees. Together, color banners will be created and put on display.
· Pam Miller Designs with Pam Miller. Pam is an artist working in several areas – paint, jewelry and polymer clay. She will demonstrate her art and have items on display for purchase.
· Inspiring Dreams with the Cornerstone Academy of Performing Arts. This Peoria ballet company will have activities for children including crafts, costume/headpiece dress up for pictures and learning dance moves with the company’s instructors and dancers.
· Speakeasy Art Center will have an informational booth to tell about their exciting arts venue in the heart of downtown Pekin that is dedicated to fostering the arts.
· Wheel Art Pottery with Jacob Grant. Jacob and his crew of incredible artists will do both pottery-throwing and Ruku demonstrations. Participants will be able to do ‘Bake & Takes’ and go home with their own creations.
· Artist Trading Cards with Judith Koren Shanahan. Come and create a small piece of art (2.5″ x 3.5″). These cards can be traded with other artists or given as gifts. Supplies will be provided. Come see how creative you can be with your own Trading Card.
· Stop Tripping & Start Living with motivational speaker James Agbara Bryson, will offer unique T-shirts and hats. James will also be featured as a speaker in one of IGNITE’s meeting rooms.
· Guitar Picker with Steve Fairbanks. From inside his small school bus, Steve sells guitars – the fronts which are adorned with painted or wood worked designs. Come see his beautiful work and sit down to sing a song or two.
· The Reading Corner with the Peoria Public Library will have story times from 10am – 2pm on the half hours. Local writers will read from their own books and the library staff will read family favorites. After the story, do a make-it-take-it craft (while supplies last).
· Girls with Guitars with musician/teacher, Melinda Brown. Melinda will be sharing her musical talent while encouraging young artists to pick up the instrument and have a go at making music.
· Art from the Garden with photographer, Mike McGarvey. Mike’s work features framed images of butterflies, insects and flowers taken from his own backyard of over 300 varieties of day lilies. The images will be available for purchase.
· CIAO (Central Illinois Artists Organization) will be set up throughout the exhibit hall demonstrating their individual art. The artists will also be collecting public votes to place them as 1st, 2nd & 3rd for cash and prizes. The public will decide!
· 365 Days of Choice sponsored by Peorians for Reproductive Health Care is in the beginning phases of a mural project celebrating women and women’s rights. They will be inviting people to express their feelings by painting on canvas.
· Land of Lincoln Basket Weavers Association will exhibit baskets they have created, demonstrate weaving techniques, and offer a small weaving project for attendees to try.
· Steel Sculpture by Central Illinois artist, James Flanigan. James will be finishing one of his incredible steel sculptures for IGNITE.
· Origami with artist Kathy Knapp, as she gives hands-on lessons on some basic origami designs.
· Country Club Birdhouses by Matthew Martin. This artist creates custom, handmade wooden birdhouses and accessories.
· The Peoria Bead Association will be displaying their finished pieces and demonstrating how they are created. There will also be ‘make and take’ sessions for attendees.
· Primitive Lawn Furniture and Stick with Tom & Diana Bell. Tom will be “shaving legs” for wood slabs and pieces using a shaving horse and draw knife. Diana will be creating faces on stick ponies.
· Susie Ryan Pottery features functional and decorative pottery from white stoneware and porcelain with many pieces hand-carved or textured in some way. Susie will demonstrate carving tiles from leather-hard clay. She will also have her pottery on display for purchase.
· Keys of Hope, a not-for-profit piano rescue supporting the men’s division of Peoria’s Teen Challenge, is offering recycled and repurposed piano items for sale. This includes everything from keys and pedals to cast iron harps and complete cabinets. Custom décor made from vintage pianos will also be on display. An artist looking for a unique media to work with or a musician/homeowner with a passion for music need to check this out.
· Oils, Acrylics, Pastels, Pencil & Charcoal created by John Bumgarner. John’s art will be display.
· Peoria Magicians Assembly will provide a full-day of MAGIC! Along with a stage performance, our area magicians will perform ‘up close’ magic in their booth space throughout the event.
· Introduction to the FLOW ARTS will be an exciting demonstration of the art form that integrates dance and the creative exploration of movement with skill-based prop manipulation. There will be performances and ‘how-to demos’ on hooping, juggling, and spinning poi.
· Pava Productions with Pava Johnson will be demonstrating her award-winning, specialized dances from Middle Eastern Dance, The Balkans, Greece, Turkey, Spain and Hawaii/Tahiti.
· 30 Minute Gesture Portraits by Yvonne Hahn. She will be doing 30 minute water-based oil paintings of one person on 8×10 canvas board throughout the day.
· Who Cares What I Wear creations by Elise Marie Skulte are incredible PAPER dresses that can actually be worn.
· Exploring the Future of Photography Together will be hosted by the Peoria Camera Club. The Club’s display area will feature a wide variety of activities: a still-life studio set up where attendees can set up and shoot their own still life photos, demonstrations of digital photos editing techniques, Q&A sessions where attendees can get the photo questions answered by Club “experts,” discussion and display of Club activities and events, and a display of Club competitions and individual photographs by Club members.
· Free to Bead with Janet Hill. Enjoy a “make and take” table with a free wire wrapped ring project along with ongoing demos of jewelry making techniques. Artisan made jewelry and DIY jewelry projects will be available for purchase.
· 3D Metal Sculpture by award-winning artist, Tom Boylan. Metal effect examples and demonstrations of Mr. Boylan’s special artwork.
· Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. This booth will focus on kids in Africa with crafts and stories for kids attending so they can learn about children in Africa.
· Cartoon You! sponsored by Inspired Arts Academy of Morton will provide directions on how to draw yourself as a cartoon character.
· Operation Christmas Child sends shoebox gifts that are distributed to children all over the world who are in desperate situations such as war, natural disasters and poverty. Craft materials will be made available so that simple origami, ornaments, cut-out snowflakes and coloring pages can be completed and used in this December’s holiday season gift boxes.
· Prairie Center for the Arts presents Printmaking and Book Arts. Since 2006, they have been acquiring equipment and supplies from various venues to be able to install a press that will serve the community with studio access, classes and workshops to enhance awareness of the fine art of printmaking and book arts. Stop by to see our progress.
· Jean Robison Photography will present nature photography that has been matched with quotes. Choose from a wide selection of items available for purchase and ready to take with you or design your own, choosing one of our photos matched with a quote you choose.
· Rock Solid Studio with Jimmy Bridgeman. This recording studio, located in Chillicothe, provides professional quality recordings to artists, bands, or even just individuals looking for a place to record their favorite songs or originals.
· Healing Arts Activities with Rhonda Rayman will provide free make-n-take art activities for children, families and individuals that promote positive feelings and personal growth.
The WORLD will also IGNITE Peoria from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in Exhibit Halls B/C. Formerly known as WORLDFEST, theFilipino-American Society of Central Illinois, Peoria Area Friends of International Students, German American Central Society, Filipino American Historical Society, All Saints Greek Orthodox, India, and Peoria Chinese Association will be sharing their art, food, music, dance, fashion and cultural expressions.
On the THEATER LOBBY Stage, we will have concerts and events throughout the day starting at 9:00 a.m. with Melinda Brown, a local singer/songwriter and guitar teacher. (She is also to be featured at the Creation Party with ‘Girls with Guitars’.) She will do a performance of her music and special styling. The rest of the events taking place on the Theater lobby stage are:
· 10:30a.m. Julie K Concert- Julie Walker is a very popular children’s singer/songwriter. Her concerts & CDs have entertained thousands of children and now she is getting ready to launch a brand-new CD. Bring the little ones to sing & dance with Julie K at this very special concert.
· 11:45a.m. RBEL Original Music- RBEL Original Music is Edward Lee Lamoureux (guitar and vocals) & Rob Bertram (bass) with special guest Craig Curtis (guitar and vocals). RBEL plays and sings Lamoureux’s original compositions.
· 1:00p.m. Storyteller, Brian “Fox” Ellis Prince Maximilian & Karl Bodmer: Touring the Wilderness of North Americawith storyteller, Brian “Fox” Ellis. Brian is a true Central Illinois gem. Using the special art of storytelling, he takes individuals to places of the past and makes the trip authentic and believable. His stories will entertain both children and adults alike.
· 3:00p.m. The Wearable Art Runway ‘The Wearable Art Runway’ is presented by the Prairie Fiber Arts Guild. Central Illinois has a very strong fiber artists’ community. From spinning yarn to knitting clothing – working with felt to make wearable creations – and using ‘unusual’ fibers to fashion true artistic creations. These artists will present their special pieces in a runway show.
The GREAT HALL Stage
· 9am – 11:30am Theatre-palooza will be a morning filled with singing & dancing from some famous musicals. Area choreographers and musical directors will teach numbers that can be performed by anyone who has ever wanted to step out on that Broadway stage. This will be a huge group activity – sharing the love of theatre!
· 11:30 a.m. Peoria Players Preview will feature performers presenting song selections from their upcoming 2014 – 2015 season.
· 12:15pm City Dance will present a performance by its instructors and performance team. Come hear how this organization is changing lives through dance and creative arts mentorship.
· 1:15pm The Pride of Peoria Chorus will entertain with wonderful barbershop songs and have CDs and tapes available for purchase.
· 2:00pm Chris Tapp a singer/songwriter & radio host. He plays piano, performs and hosts a radio show called The ART Cart on 90.7 WAZU.
· 2:30pm The Rainbo Cloggers is a family-based clogging group out of Peoria that has been in existence for over 30 years, with a combined experience of over 100 years. The show is for all ages, with a wide variety of music.
· 3:00pm Peter Wentworth, Musical Saw Artist. Peter’s unique instrument, the Musical Saw, needs to be heard and seen to be believed.
· 3:40pm Peoria Magicians Assembly will thrill and delight audiences with their magical presentation.
· 4:20pm Dramatic Crossroads Opera Company will present arias and scenes from famous operas as part of their ‘Opera On Tour’ concert series.
Meeting Room Events
· Room 200 will feature a Ceramics show, with works by Jacob Grant, Randy Carlson, Bethany Dornberger, Ricky Traughber, Kyle Hoff, Chris Kukla, Sarah Zaleski, Ben Watkins, Blair, Jolene Wake, Steve Wright, Linda Andrews, Jeff Rowden, Kelly Rowden, and Pam Garguillo
· Room 201 will consist of a Local Art Teachers’ Show featuring Jaime Keyster, Doug Goesmann, Brittany Metka, and Xavier.
· Room 202 will have the Peoria Notre Dame art students displaying some of their projects from the past year. The teacher is Maggie Off.
· Room 203
· 10:00 a.m.…..Creativity & the Learning Process – Jacob Grant (20 min.)
· 10:30 a.m.…Arts Alliance Illinois – Ra Joy (20 min.)
· 11:00 a.m.…Illinois Arts Council - Joshua Davis (20 min.)
· 11:30 a.m.…Illinois Artisans & Preparing a Jury Application - Meredith Lacina (50 min.)
· 12:30 p.m.…NEA Grant – Public Art in Peoria’s South Side - Jacob Grant, Rashaad Reed, Brenda Gentry, Kyle Hoff, Ben Watkins (30 min.)
· 1:00 p.m.…Stop Tripping & Start Living - Agbara Bryson (45 min.)
· Room 220 Songwriting Workshop with Barry Cloyd. Step into the world of songwriting with professional-touring musician, Barry Cloyd, and bring along your imagination. In this workshop, Barry will introduce the attendees to the basics of songwriting and guide them into the process of creating a song that tell a story…their story. There will be three sessions throughout the day. 10 - 11:30am, 12:30 – 2pm, and 3 – 4:30pm.
The All-America City Lobby (The Verizon Wireless Lounge)
· The “All-America City” Artistic Creation, created from hundreds of responses to the question…Why is Peoria an All-America City?…will be on display.
· Startup Peoria will be asking for your ideas on new businesses you would like to see become a part of the Central Illinois community.
· The Peoria Sculpture Walk Committee will be sharing information about this exciting new project
The Peoria Civic Center, an SMG managed facility, is an entertainment and convention venue that contributes significantly to the economic impact on the downtown Peoria area. For the most up-to-date event information, please check us out on the web at www.PeoriaCivicCenter.com.
Founded in 1977, SMG provides management services to more than 230 public assembly facilities including convention and exhibition centers, arenas, stadiums, theatres, performing arts centers, equestrian facilities, science centers and a variety of other venues. With facilities across the globe, SMG manages more than 14.4 million square feet of exhibition space and over 1.75 million sports and entertainment seats. As the recognized global industry leader, SMG provides venue management, sales, marketing, event booking and programming, construction and design consulting, and pre-opening services for such landmark facilities as McCormick Place & Soldier Field in Chicago, Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, Houston’s Reliant Park and the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. SMG also offers food and beverage operations through its concessions, catering and special events division, SAVOR, currently servicing more than 100 accounts worldwide. For more information visitwww.smgworld.com .
# # #